is designed to:
meet the needs of those professionals who are currently certified in Special Education and who wish to pursue advanced study in their content field on the Athens campus.
Our Graduate Admissions team can help!
P: 706-778-8500 1352
The Special Education MA degree is a 39-credit program and is offered primarily online with occasional face-to-face meetings on the Athens campus. Candidates complete the MA program with advanced expertise in:
- Specially-Designed Instructional Methods for Individuals with Specific Learning Disabilities, Emotional/Behavioral Disorders, Intellectual Disabilities, High-Functioning Autism
- Curriculum and Assessment for Individuals with Specific Learning Disabilities, Emotional/Behavioral Disorders, Intellectual Disabilities, High-Functioning Autism
- Basic and Advanced Behavior Management Strategies
- Evidence-Based Approaches to Collaboration and Inclusion
- Special Education Policy and Law
- Translating Research Findings to Real-World Teaching Practice
- Healthcare for Students with Exceptional Needs (optional)
Candidates take three elective classes and have the flexibility to specialize in a chosen content area or an endorsement. For example, candidates have the option of completing the Autism Spectrum Disorder endorsement or the Gifted Education Endorsement during their program of study – the Georgia PSC recognizes both endorsements.