is designed to:
Meet the needs of those professionals who are currently certified in Middle Grades Education and who wish to pursue advanced study in the field.
Our Graduate Admissions team can help!
P: 706-778-8500 x1352
The Master of Arts degree in Middle Grades Education is a 30-credit program and is offered on both the Demorest and Athens campuses (please note that science courses may not be available on the Athens campus). In addition to education courses, candidates take four (4) graduate-level content courses in their teaching field.
Teachers who wish to pursue the MA degree with an off-campus cohort will take their education courses in the off-campus location, but will take content courses online or on either the Athens or Demorest campus.
Note: Individuals who wish to add Middle Grades education (4-8) as a new field (ANF) will need to take teaching methods courses on either the Athens or Demorest campus, as these courses are not offered in off-campus cohort locations. An alternative means of adding middle grades education as a new field (ANF) is to take and pass the GACE middle grades content test(s) relative to the area of certification.
For those seeking initial certification, click here for the Master of Arts in Teaching in Middle Grades Education.
Master of Arts (MA) degrees in education are designed for teachers and/or individuals who hold a valid teaching certificate or who are currently teaching in a private school accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) or the Georgia Accrediting Commission (GAC) at the Accredited With Quality (AWQ) or Accredited (ACC) level. Eligibility for application requires a bachelor’s degree with a 2.5 cumulative GPA from an accredited college or university and a copy of a valid teaching certificate or letter from the principal or head of school verifying full-time employment as a teacher or educational administrator.*
Note: Master of Arts (MA) degree programs do not lead to initial educator certification nor to the conversion of a non-renewable certificate (Provisional or Waiver certificate) to a Professional certificate. (Piedmont has Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) and certification-only programs leading to initial certification.)
Applicants must also submit:
- Graduate Admissions Application
- Official, final transcripts from the college or university awarding the Bachelor’s degree showing all course work from all colleges and universities attended. (Piedmont University transcripts are on file.)
- Two (2) professional references. One reference is required from a supervising administrator, and the other can be a choice of the following: a former professor, or instructor (college instructor, staff development instructor or mentor), or professional colleague
- Copy of valid, current professional Georgia teaching certificate at the appropriate level or letter from the principal or head of school verifying full-time employment as a teacher or educational administrator. For those holding provisional certificates a copy of the current certificate and a copy of the PSC letter outlining requirements for updating to a clear-renewable certificate
- (Note: If your certificate is not a Georgia certificate and you desire to be certified in Georgia, you must complete all requirements through Professional Standards Commission [PSC].)
- Personal Affirmation Form
* These programs are for advanced certification and do not lead to a recommendation for an initial Georgia Teaching Certificate. Holders of out-of-state certificates should contact the Georgia Professional Standards Commission for reciprocity rules.
** Teachers using this option must have taught three out of the past five years with a professional teaching certificate in an accredited public school or private school [SACS or GAC (top two levels)] verified through submitted annual evaluations.
What classes will I take?
You might also be interested in one of these programs.
Music Education, MA
Our graduates are impacting the world. Students who graduate from Piedmont with an MA in MUSIC EDUCATION are prepared to teach in both public and private schools. Where do I start?…Explore this Major
Special Education, MA
Our graduates are impacting the world. Students who graduate from Piedmont with an MA in SPECIAL EDUCATION are prepared to teach in both public and private schools. Where do I start?…Explore this Major
Secondary Education, MA
Our graduates are impacting the world. Students who graduate from Piedmont with an MA in SECONDARY EDUCATION are prepared to teach in both public and private schools. Where do I start?…Explore this Major