is designed for:
Professionals who are currently certified in Art Education and who wish to pursue advanced study in the field.
Our Graduate Admissions team can help!
P: 706-778-8500 x1352
Teach your art.
The Master of Arts degree in Art Education is a 33-credit program and is offered on the Demorest campus. Teachers who wish to pursue the MA degree with an off-campus cohort will take the majority of their courses in the off-campus location and will then come to the Demorest campus in the summer for the art content courses.
Note: The M.A. Degree in Art Education is not appropriate for individuals who are seeking initial certification in art education or who wish to add Art Education to their current certification. For those seeking initial certification, click here for more information on the Master of Arts in Teaching in Art Education.
Master of Arts (M.A.) degrees in education are designed for teachers and/or individuals who hold a valid teaching certificate or who are currently teaching in a private school accredited by the Southern Association of Universitys and Schools (SACS) or the Georgia Accrediting Commission Inc. (GAC) at the Accredited With Quality (AWQ) or Accredited (ACC) level. Eligibility for application requires a bachelor’s degree with a 2.5 cumulative GPA from a regionally accredited college or university and a copy of a valid teaching certificate or letter from the principal or head of school verifying full-time employment as a teacher or educational administrator.*
Note: Master of Arts (MA) degree programs do not lead to initial educator certification nor to the conversion of a non-renewable certificate (Provisional or Waiver certificate) to a Professional certificate. (Piedmont has Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) and certification-only programs leading to initial certification.)
Applicants must also submit:
- Graduate Admissions Application
- Official, final transcripts from the college or university awarding the Bachelor’s degree showing all course work from all colleges and universities attended. (Piedmont University transcripts are on file.)
- Three Professional References, one each from
- Supervising administrator
- Former professor or instructor (college instructor, staff development or mentor)
- Professional colleague
- Copy of valid, current professional Georgia teaching certificate at the appropriate level or letter from the principal or head of school verifying full-time employment as a teacher or educational administrator. For those holding provisional certificates a copy of the current certificate and a copy of the PSC letter outlining requirements for updating to a clear-renewable certificate
- (Note: If your certificate is not a Georgia certificate and you desire to be certified in Georgia, you must complete all requirements through Professional Standards Commission [PSC].)
- For Art Education, the art department chair must approve a portfolio of past work and a philosophy of teaching before acceptance
- Personal Affirmation Form
* These programs are for advanced certification and do not lead to a recommendation for an initial Georgia Teaching Certificate. Holders of out-of-state certificates should contact the Georgia Professional Standards Commission for reciprocity rules.
** Teachers using this option must have taught three out of the past five years with a professional teaching certificate in an accredited public school or private school [SACS or GAC (top two levels)] verified through submitted annual evaluations.
What classes will I take?
Our graduates are impacting the world.
Students who graduate from Piedmont with an MA in ART EDUCATION are prepared to teach in both public and private schools. They can also find jobs in museums, libraries, arts community centers, and non-profit organizations devoted to the arts.
You might also be interested in one of these programs.
Music Education, MAT
What classes will I take?…Explore this Major
Art Education, MAT
The Master of Arts in Teaching in Art Education is designed for college graduates who have completed an undergraduate major in art and are seeking teaching certification in Georgia….Explore this Major