Technology Requirements and Resources for Online and Hybrid Courses
Information on technical services provided by the College may be found on the Information Technology (IT) website. Click/Tap to visit the IT page.
You may also contact IT at:
(800) 277-7020 (Toll-free - ask for the IT Department)
All Piedmont College courses use the Canvas learning management system as the official platform for online instruction. If you are new to Canvas, Click/Tap to view the Canvas Student Guide.
Canvas runs on Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, and Android, or any device with a web browser.
Support for Canvas is available 24/7 via live chat. Click/Tap for Canvas Support Live Chat
If you prefer to contact Canvas Support by telephone, the following number may be used 24/7 to obtain assistance: 1-833-723-6108
Canvas Mobile App for Students
To learn more about the Canvas Student App, or to see it in action, Click/Tap Here.
An internet connection is necessary to participate in discussions and assignments, access readings, transfer course work, and receive feedback from your instructor and/or professor. For web-based courses, students should have a basic working knowledge of computers and internet use as well as access to a computer with a broadband (DSL, cable, satellite) internet connection. For technology requirements specific to this course, please review the minimum technology requirements found in the course syllabus.
Minimum Technical Skills
Using Canvas LMS, Email, Microsoft Office 365.
Information Literacy Skills
Using online library resources, search engines, etc.?: Click/Tap Here to visit the Piedmont Library website.
The Library also provides links and resources for how to appropriately provide citations and references: Click/Tap Here
Additional Technology Resources
Academic Writer, for disciplines using APA style. Free access to Piedmont students. If are you unsuccessful creating your account with this link, Click/Tap Here to locate and use the Library's proxy link for this product.
Grammarly (click here) (Links to an external site.) Free access for Piedmont students!
LinkedIn Learning (click here for information) Free access for Piedmont students! Includes use of mobile app.
Microsoft Office 365 (click here) (Links to an external site.) Free access for enrolled Piedmont students! Includes use of mobile apps.
Ideally, computers should be under five years old in order to accommodate up-to-date software.
Canvas and its hosting infrastructure are designed for maximum compatibility and minimal requirements.
Canvas is best viewed at a minimum resolution of 1024x600 pixels, which is the average size of a laptop computer. If you want to view Canvas on a device with a smaller screen, we recommend using the Canvas mobile app.
- Windows 10
- Mac OS- free updates are available.
- Linux - ChromeOS
Mobile Operating System Native App Support
- iOS 12 recommended
- Android 7.0 and newer
Computer Speed and Processor (minimum recommendations)
- Use a computer 5 years old or newer when possible
- 4GB of RAM (8GB or more recommended)
- 2.5 GHz dual-core processor or higher (3.5 GB quad-core or higher recommended for courses using advanced software, video rendering, etc.)
- Check with your advisor for any additional technology requirements for your major.
- Along with compatibility and web standards, Canvas has been carefully crafted to accommodate low bandwidth environments.
- As online courses often require students to access or stream high-quality video and synchronous videoconferencing, internet download speeds greater than 25 Mbps are recommended. Click here to test your connection speed. (Links to an external site.)
- Macintosh: VoiceOver (Links to an external site.) (Links to an external site.) (latest version for Safari)
- PC: JAWS (Links to an external site.) (Links to an external site.) (latest version for Internet Explorer 10 & 11)
- PC: NVDA (Links to an external site.) (Links to an external site.) (latest version for Firefox)
- There is no screen reader support for Canvas in Chrome
- Find more detailed information here: Tips for Students Using Screen Readers in Canvas (Links to an external site.)
Canvas supports the last two versions of every browser release. We highly recommend updating to the newest version of whatever browser you are using as well as the most up-to-date Flash plug-in.
- Microsoft Edge
- Chrome (preferred)
- Flash Player (may used for recording or viewing audio/video and uploading files)
- Respondus Lockdown Browser (supporting the latest system requirements (Links to an external site.) (Links to an external site.))
Some supported browsers may still produce a banner stating Your browser does not meet the minimum requirements for Canvas. If you have upgraded your browser but you are still seeing the warning banner, try logging out of Canvas and deleting your browser cookies. Learn how to clear your cache on a Mac or a PC.
Some online classes may use the following software. Additional software may be required by your course instructors. Always check your course syllabus for specific software recommendations. Also, your advisor may be able to tell you about any additional requirements for your major.
- Mozilla Firefox (Links to an external site.) (Links to an external site.)
- Adobe Acrobat Reader (Links to an external site.) (Links to an external site.)
- Adobe Flash (Links to an external site.) (Links to an external site.)
Spam and Phishing Scams
- Use anti-virus, anti-spyware and anti-malware software.
- Use pins and passwords to secure your computer and devices- don't share your password with anyone. Create strong passwords that include a combination of letters and numbers that no one can guess (like your birthdate).