is designed for:
Students who hold a bachelor’s degree in music (or the equivalent) who wish to pursue teacher certification for preschool-12 grade
Our Graduate Admissions team can help!
P: 706-778-8500 1352
Share your love for music.
The Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) in Music Education leads to initial certification and is designed to meet the needs of candidates who hold an undergraduate degree in music (or the equivalent). The 42-43 credit program is designed for those who wish to teach in preschool through 12th grade (P-12).
The program combines coursework and field experiences, culminating in a yearlong school experience that is comprised of two apprenticeship semesters. Experienced faculty and educators in local schools work collaboratively to provide candidates with the knowledge, strategies, and real-world experiences that prepare them to teach in 21st-century schools.
The program has been approved by the Georgia Professional Standards Commission for initial teacher certification. Candidates from other states may be eligible for certification under the Interstate Certification Compact.
The program is available on the Demorest campus only.
In order to register for student teaching or take the capstone course in any program (whichever occurs last), MAT candidates must successfully pass the appropriate Georgia Assessments for the Certification of Educators (GACE) tests(s) before registering for the final semester of coursework in the program.
Educators who are currently certified may wish to pursue advanced study in order to improve their skills in knowledge in their respective fields. Georgia educators who complete the MAT in a field in which they hold certification are eligible for a certification upgrade. In-field Master of Arts degrees do NOT lead to initial certification.
• Hold initial certification in Music (P-12) from the State of Georgia or a state that participates in the Interstate Certification Compact. For more information on this agreement, see gapsc.com/MovetoGeorgia/outOfStateEducators.aspx;
• Audition on major instrument (voice, piano, organ, etc.);
• Minimum score on Music Theory Placement Exam (contact the graduate music education coordinator for minimum requirements);
• Show evidence of having successfully completed a senior-level recital on major instrument; and
• Show evidence of, or pass, a Piano Proficiency Exam.
- Successful completion of capstone exhibition;
- Completion of the music education portfolio;
- Submit and have approved an application for graduation the semester before graduation; and
- Earn an overall GPA of 3.0 in all graduate courses attempted.
Our graduates are impacting the world.
Students who graduate from Piedmont with an MAT in MUSIC EDUCATION are prepared to teach in both public and private schools