Certification Only: Middle Grades Education
In order to be recommended by Piedmont College for Georgia Certification in Middle Grades Education (4-8) you must meet the following criteria:
1. Hold a bachelor’s degree from a PSC-accepted accredited institution
2. Maintain a GPA of 2.5 on all coursework completed for certification
3. Pass the appropriate GACE as a prerequisite for certification
4. Complete the Admission to Teacher Education Process, including passing GACE Basic skills Test as a prerequisite to student teaching or internship. This process must be completed by the end of the second semester of enrollment.
5. When appropriate, Piedmont College will accept the professional learning unit (PLU), teaching internship, and/or other experiences in lieu of the same or similar college credit courses for post-baccalaureate candidates. No education course (except for content courses) that was taken 10 or more years ago will be accepted. In order for Piedmont College to recommend certification, at least 27 semester hours must be taken at Piedmont College.
6. Complete (or have completed previously in another program) the following courses with a grade of "C" or above:
EDUC 199 Introduction To Education
EDUC 250 Or EDUC 601 Instruc. Media and Technology
EDUC 537 Reading and Writing in the Content Area
EDMG 331 Or EDUC 631Reading Methods
One or two methods courses according to Area(s) of concentration:- EDMG 332 Or EDUC 632 Language Arts
- EDMG 334 Or EDUC 634 Social Studies Methods
- EDMG 335 Or EDUC 636 Science Methods
- EDMG 336 Or EDUC 630 Math Methods
EDMG 345 Teaching In Middle School
EDUC 355 Or EDUC 655 Exceptional Children
EDUC 495 Or EDUC 600 Educational Assessment
EDUC 401 Or EDUC 703 Social, Cultural, Ethical Perspectives
EDUC 307 Or EDUC 607 Learning and Cognition
EDUC 497* Or EDUC 690 Classroom Management
EDUC 498* Or EDUC 736 Contextual …School Environments
EDMG 499** Student Teaching Or EDUC 444/445 Internship
* These courses must be taken as a block and constitute the professional semester.
**Students who are already certified in another field do not repeat student teaching.
A practicum will be required unless the Dean of the School of Education grants experiential credit. Field experiences are required. Middle grades candidates will student teach at South Habersham Middle School, Burney Harris Lyons, or Madison County Middle School. Students may take graduate or undergraduate courses.
Select one or two area(s) of concentration:
1. Language Arts: Courses in:
Other English course
2. Social Science: Courses in:
United States History
3. Mathematics: Courses in:
Two Other Math content
Earth/space science required and courses in THREE of the following areas:
NOTE: This program does not lead to a degree.
If all other requirements are meet the certificate will be issued at the level of the highest degree held.